6.28.2009

Sunday at King's... getting settled

Today I checked into the Pembroke-King's Programme and moved into Bodley's Court (in King's College). My suite has a bedroom and a front room and Cambridge doesn't believe in roommates so I have it all to myself. My windows overlook the lawn and the river... I feel like I'm living in a dream. It's a beautiful campus... I walk through an entrance guarded by porters just to get into my college and then I walk by buildings that are hundreds of years old, filled with stained glass windows and incredible architecture. I eat in a dining hall that looks exactly like Hogwarts (we kept looking around, expecting owls to start flying in).

This morning we went to church at the Cambridge ward. It's a great little ward with this old lady who asks questions and talks incessantly. She's great. They are really excited to have 20 new temporary members and I think we'll probably all be teaching in Relief Society or Primary or something within the next couple of weeks. A lot of the students didn't get a chance to go to church today because they were traveling so tonight the bishop came and we had a mini Sacrament meeting in my room. Our bishop spoke, introducing us to the ward and giving us a talk. I've never had the chance to take the Sacrament in a small setting like that before, especially in my apartment, but it was really powerful and very comforting to have this so far away from home. I'm so grateful for the comforting consistency of the gospel and how it brings people together.

Mom goes home tomorrow so I said goodbye to her today. It was sad to say goodbye but I'm so grateful she could be here and we could spend that time together. I'm so grateful for everything she does for me and all of the support she gives me in everything I do.

Mom and I inside the entrance to King's.

Tomorrow I have orientation, library "induction", and my first class. Oh and I'm going running in about 7 hours. I'm a little scared but I'm excited to get started.

Me sitting at my bedroom window. You can't really see it but that's the Cam River over my shoulder and the grass we're not allowed to walk on to my left.

1 comment:

  1. It is comforting to have the gospel and the church everywhere we go. I always feel especially grateful for having a ward to be involved in whenever we move. Sounds like you had a lovely day. (Except for the saying by to mom part!)
    And man I want to come visit you SO bad!

    ReplyDelete